Athens, GA 30606
OUR OLD HOUSE?
Hello and welcome!
This page is a virtual meeting place for ALL Hyatt family members -- wherever you may live. It is being started by some of us in Georgia, though most of our close relatives are in North Carolina (with many elsewhere of course!).
We have our reunion every year in August in the Qualla community of Western North Carolina, just outside the town of Cherokee (Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians). We will post links of all sorts in the future, including our family lineage, which can be used to compare to yours.
Further, please write, and let's each see if we can
put it ALL together one day :) BTW (by the way), our ancestors are first
from England, and included Sir Charles Hyatt and his sons.
Hyatt Coat of Arms Description
Coat of Arms: Silver with a red lion and a stripe across the top of black.
Crest: A black flying horse.
Motto: Fac et spera
(WORK AND HOPE)
VERSIONS OF CRESTS
Hiatt - according to the Burke's General Armory... As. a lion
ramp. ar. Crest- A lion's paw erased, holding a broken spear all ppr. Since
the Hyatt lion paws are usually intact and raised, I guess the Hiatt part
of the family must have been more fighters although the Hyatt lion appears
on top of a Castle sometimes like ownership or protectors as it is in defense.
*From the end of the 14th century there was a change in the character of the office of constable. The castle, manors, and general proWts of the Forest once farmed by the holder (which are referred to here as the St. Briavels castle estate) were granted in fee by the Crown, and later, having reverted to the Crown, were granted on long leases. (fn. 41) The constableship was evidently subsumed in a grant in fee of the St. Briavels castle estate to John, later duke of Bedford, in 1399, but after his death in 1435 the office was separated from the estate. (fn. 42) Constables were appointed at an annual fee paid out of the estate (fn. 43) and had the use of parts of St. Briavels castle for keeping the courts and prison. (fn. 44) During the next 100 years men from local gentry families often served, including John Ashurst, landowner in English Bicknor, and members of the Baynham and Hyett families. In 1546, however, the earls of Pembroke began a long association with the office, and from the mid 17th century, when the constableship was usually held with the lease of the St. Briavels castle estate, it was the preserve of leading Gloucestershire magnates. (fn. 45) The constable continued to appoint a deputy constable, mainly for holding the courts, (fn. 46) and his bowbearer and six under-foresters. The six were later termed rangers or keepers (fn. 47) and had the specific task of keeping the deer; (fn. 48) they took on an enhanced role at a reorganization of the Forest's administration in the 1670s. (fn. 49)
From: 'Forest of Dean: Forest administration', A
History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels
Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 354-77. URL: